Salient Features of Second generation computers:
- Use transistor based technology.
- Were smaller and less expensive as compared to first generation.
- Consumed less electricity and emitted less heat.
- Magnetic core memories and magnetic disks were used as primary and secondary storage respectively.
- First operating system developed.
- Programming in assembly language and in the later part high level languages were used.
- Wider commercial use but commercial production was still difficult.
- They also required constant air-conditioning.
- Examples: IBM 1401, IBM 1620, UNIVAC 1108