Following are some of the important features of First generation computers:
- Used vacuum tubes to control and amplify electronic signals.
- Huge computers that occupied lot of space.
- High electricity consumption and high heat generation.
- Were unreliable since they were prone to frequent hardware failures.
- Commercial production was difficult.
- They were very costly and required constant maintenance.
- Continuous air conditioning was required.
- Programming was done in machine language although assembly language also started at the end of this generation
- Example: ENIAC , EDVAC , UNIVAC 1