Several inscriptions and books tell about the history of the Mauryans:
- The sculptures excavated from various places provide deep insights into the Mauryan rule.
- The written accounts of Megasthenes who served as the ambassador in the court of Chandragupta Maurya provides insights into the political and social life of the people.
- One of the most important sources of information was ‘Arthashastra’, written by Chanakya.
- Buddhist, Jainas and Puranic literature provides a lot of critical information about the Mauryans.
- The inscriptions of the Ashoka on the rock edicts and pillars are the most valuable sources for Mauryan history.