Some of the important sources of information are:
- The Buddhist texts such as the Tripitakas act as an important source for understanding the religious beliefs as well as the intrigues of Buddhism.
- The religious texts of Jainism and Hinduism also act as useful sources for the reconstruction of the cultural and religious history of the society.
- Other Brahmanical texts such as Puranas and Vedas are also an important source of information.
- The excavations at religious sites such as the Sanchi stupa also provide a great amount of information.
- The excavations from the other important architectural monuments also acted as a great source of information for reconstructing the cultural past.