Inscriptions are the written text generally on hard surfaces that includes stones, potteries or several metal surfaces. Some of its features are:
- They are historically important as they act as a source of information about the social and political situation in those times.
- They generally gave information about the achievements of the Kings and were written by men under the service of the Kings.
- The inscriptions also gave information about the religious donations made by the Kings.
- Some of the earliest inscriptions were generally written in the Prakrit.
- Few inscriptions also mentioned the date of their commission. In other cases, the actual dates of the inscriptions can be determined by several techniques.