Some of the strategies used for increasing the agricultural production were:
- The practice of plough agriculture was adopted and the activities expanded to the valleys of Ganga and Kaveri.
- The iron-ploughshare was utiised for the purpose of making the alluvial soil more fertile.
- The technique of transplantation was used for increasing the production of the paddy.
- The people residing in the areas of the hills practiced hoe agriculture that increased the agricultural production drastically.
- Irrigation was widely improved by developing canals and constructing tanks and other water storage facilities.