GNU Image Manipulation Program is free and powerful open source image editing tool that provides retouching of photos, authoring of photos and composition of photos. It is free and consists of many similar features provided by the Photoshop. It’s available for free for download distribution software that allows you to create image composition and image authoring.
GIMP is a multi-platform photo manipulation tool. Most GNU/Linux distributions include GIMP as a standard application. The GIMP is also available for other operating systems such as Microsoft WindowsTM or Apple’s Mac OS XTM (Darwin).
The GIMP is a Free Software application covered by the General Public License [GPL]. The GPL provides users with the freedom to access and alter the source code.
Features of GIMP
- It can be used as a simple paint program
- An expert quality photo retouching program.
- An online batch processing system.
- A mass production image renderer.
- The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
- It can convert and save files to many file formats such as gif, jpef,tiff.etc
- It can load and save animations in a convenient frame as layer format.
- Virtually unlimited images can be opened at one time.
- GIMP works with numerous operating systems including Linux, Mac OS and Microsoft Windows.