The Kushanas had one of the earliest and the best systems of coinage in the world. Coins were the medium of exchange in almost the whole of the Kushana Empire.
Some of the features of their system were:
- The first gold coins were issued by the Kushana dynasty during the first century CE.
- The coins issued were uniform and identical in weight similar to the coins issued by the Romans.
- Large amounts of coins have been recovered from a plethora of sites in Northern and Central India.
- Use of such a large amount of gold coins shows that the transactions carried out in the empire were significant.
- Instances of trade with the foreign nations have been found as coins of the Roman Empire were also discovered in India.