The consequences of communalism would be grave and could destroy the social fabric of society. Following are some of the consequences of communalism in India.
- Communalism leads to hatred and aggression against others.
- It creates prejudices and builds stereotypes about certain communities.
- It encourages hostility and provokes violent behavior causing clashes and riots.
- It does not extract the maximum potential out of each individual of each community from society.
- Riots lead to disruption of economic and social activities and affects the smooth functioning of businesses.
- It tarnishes the image of the country affecting the country’s international trade, investments and other interests.
- It hinders the objective of social harmony, national unity and security.
- It alienates and isolates members of certain communities making the atmosphere suspicious and difficult.