The untouchables were ill treated from the other sections of the society.
- They were considered as a polluted caste and people did not dine with them.
- These people used to inhabit the areas on the outskirts of the city and were not allowed to enter the main city during the night.
- They had to use discarded utensils and wear clothes of the dead and ornaments made of iron.
- They generally performed lower-level jobs like cremation of the corpses and sanitation work.
- Some of their classes had to sound a clapper while moving on the streets to be aware of the other people as their shadow was also considered polluted.