Following are the differences between Power and Authority:
- Right to do something.
- Derived from organizational position
- Always flow downward can be
- Legitimate – resides in the position.
- Narrow term – one source or subset of power.
- Visible from organizational chart. It is institutional power.
- Ability to do something.
- Derived from many sources personal, institutional.
- Flows in all directions-cannot be delegated.
- May be illegitimate or extra constitutional.
- Broad concept – can achieve results when authority fails
- Not visible from organizational chart.