Pipeline transport network is the new mode of transport these days. In the past, pipelines were used to transport water to cities and industries. Now, these are used for transporting crude oil, petroleum products and natural gas from oil and natural gas fields to refineries, fertilizer factories and big thermal power plants. Solids can also be transported through a pipeline when converted into slurry.
- Useful in transporting liquids and solid slurry from far away locations.
- Subsequent running costs after laying down the network are minimal.
- It rules out transshipment losses or delays.
- Initial cost of laying pipelines is high.
- Pipelines can burst or can have leakage leading to wastage of valuable resource like water, mineral oil, etc.