Following are some of the characteristics of leadership :
- Leadership is a personal quality.
- Leadership presupposes the existence of a group of followers. There can be no leadership without followers.
- Leadership tries to influence the individuals to behave in a particular way. Successful leaders are able to influence the behaviour, attitudes and beliefs of the followers.
- Leadership arises out of functioning for a common goal.
- Leadership is a continuous process of influencing behaviour.
- Leadership is related to a particular situation at a given point of time under a specific set of circumstances. Thus, leadership style will be different under different circumstances.