Some of the common subsistence strategies in both cultures are:
- The people of both cultures ate a different variety of plants and animals, including aquatic species like fish.
- The discovery of charred grains and seeds depicts that a wide range of dietary practices was prevalent.
- Grains such as wheat, barley, chickpeas, lentils have been discovered from the Harappan sites showing their use in both cultures.
- Some animals like cattle, sheep, goats and buffalo were domesticated by the people of both the civilisation.
- The meat of the wild animals such as boar and deer were consumed by the people of both the civilisation.