The video conferencing is a conference between two or more people sitting at various remote locations around the world. They can talk to each other when they are connected to each other using Internet. Thus, they are able to transmit both the video and audio data.
In video conferencing, several computer networks relay the information through the Internet. Each of the end user has a camera known as Webcam as well microphone to capture the video data and the voice data in real time and this is transmitted over Internet. The participants can view each other over their monitors as well as hear the voice data over speakers of their laptop or desktop computers. These days equipment such as smart phones and tablets has the capability of capturing the video data as well voice data. Therefore, it is possible to conduct video conferencing from any part of the world not necessarily connected to Internet through wires.
Multipoint videoconferencing allows three or more participants to sit in virtual conference room and communicate, as though they are all sitting together. With the rapidly changing cost of the hardware and accessibility of Internet across the world, video conferencing is changing the way people conduct meetings. The business class all around the world consider video conferencing as a rapid tool to reduce the need for personal meetings and hence the need for all participants to get together at one location. The high speed of Internet connectivity not only allows the video and audio data but participants can open, review, share and discuss the documents.
On the television, we see a number of times that the program host is conducting the interview among several participants sitting in different cities or countries. This is done with the technology used in video conferencing. The participants are not only able to hear each other but can see and talk to each other live. The entire proceedings of the interview such as the data transmission between or among participants across the world can be seen clearly by the viewers of the television.
Advantages of Video Conferencing
1. Reduced Traveling Cost: In the global world where businesses are being conducted across continents, the travelling cost and the time that is wasted during travel is reduced to a greater extent. The video conferencing lowers the distance by showing the receiver on the monitor and it takes least amount of time to conduct talks between the two users.
2. Increased Productivity: The people meet in the virtual world where the discussions takes place instantly without meeting each other and the decisions about a problem are thus made faster. This leads to increased productivity.
3. Going Green: Since conferencing between people is possible even without travelling from one place to another through video conferencing, a lot of petrol or fuel is saved. One can therefore say, that it is an eco-friendly initiative.
Disadvantages of Video Conferencing
1. Technical Issues: Since the video conferencing depends heavily on the availability of a high speed internet connection, the technical issues of such types can delay the discussions among the participants sitting in different locations.
2. Lack of Personal Contact: All types of discussions cannot be handled through video conferencing. Discussion between an employer and prospective employee or the assessment of a candidate is possible most of the time through the personal interview i.e. face to face interaction. It is difficult to judge a person through the video or a virtual interview.