Telephone is a device that transmits speech at a distance through the medium of electro-magnetic waves. The first telephone was invented in 1876 by Alexander Graham Bell. Today‘s telephone is a very sophisticated instrument with different applications and services.
Advantages of Telephone Communication
- It saves time.
- We can communicate without leaving our seat.
- It provides immediate feedback.
- Itprovidesimmediateprooftothecallerthathismessage has been received.
- It provides a large range of services to its subscribers – such as STD and ISD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling and International Subscriber Dialing respectively); call-waiting and call-forwarding, morning alarm etc.
Disadvantages of Telephone Communication
- It may not always save time, e.g. When there are wrong numbers or mechanical disturbances.
- It does not have legal validity – a telephonic talk cannot be used as legal proof.
- Facial expressions and gestures cannot be communicated over the telephone.
- A telephone call can be made at a wrong or inconvenient time for the receiver.