Five points that highlight the importance of controlling are:
1. Accomplishing organisational goals: It helps in accomplishing organisational goals by bringing to light, deviations if any and indicating corrective action.
2. Making efficient use of resources: It helps in making efficient use of resources by ensuring that each activity is performed in accordance with predetermined standards.
3. Ensuring order and discipline: It ensures order and discipline among employees by keeping a close check on their activities.
4. Improving employee motivation: It improves employee motivation as the employees know well in advance the standards of performance on the basis of which they will be appraised.
5. Judging accuracy of standards: It helps in judging the accuracy of standards in the light of changes taking place in the organisation and in the environment.
6. Facilitating coordination in action: It facilitates coordination in action as each employee and department is governed by pre-determined standards which are well coordinated with one another.