Some of the problems faced by the epigraphists and the limitations of the inscriptional evidence are:
- There can be technical limitations as the letters are faintly engraved which can make the reconstruction really tough.
- The damaging of the inscriptions and the missing of important letters are also one of the important limitation.
- The deciphering of the inscriptions is not an easy task and sometimes there can be irregularity in the meaning of the text.
- All the important political and economical activities are not mentioned in the inscriptions that makes them not a comprehensive source of information.
- Inscriptions can be biased and can be based on the perception of the individual writers who commissioned them.