Democracy is accountable and responsive to the needs and expectations of the citizens because:
- In a democracy, people have the right to choose their representatives and the people will have control over them.
- Citizens have the right to participate in decision-making that affects them all. This ensures that the working of the government is transparent.
- Everybody expects the government to be attentive to the needs and expectations of the people.
- It is expected that the democratic government develops mechanisms for citizens to hold the government accountable.
- The opposition parties can also question and criticize the government policies. They keep a check on the ruling party and make sure that it does not misuse the power.