There are several reasons due to which Sanchi stupa managed to survive:
- The Nawab of Bhopal, Shahjehan Begum and her successor Sultan Jehan Begum allocated a large number of funds for the preservation of the stupa.
- They funded the museums that were built near the site and also a guesthouse. The activities like the publication of volumes on the site were also funded by them.
- The stupa was also successful in escaping the eyes of the railway contractors and architectural engineers.
- The European nations like France and British also showed liberal behaviour and did not carry the excavated objects back to their nation.
- The preservation of the site was the collective effort of the British and the Nawab of Bhopal.