By social institutions sociologist mean normative system that function in five basic realm of life, which may be called as primary social institutions:
- Family – determines kinship and basic socialization
- Religion – regulates relation with supernatural
- Economic – leads to production and distribution of goods and services
- Political and government – regulates access to and use of legitimate power and authority
- Education – transmission of knowledge from one generation to another
All the above social institutions are universal in nature found in all human societies and play vital role in the development and smooth functioning of human societies. Beside these five primary social institutions there are secondary social institutions also for example the secondary social institutions of education would be school, colleges and universities and for religion the secondary social institutions would be totem, temple, taboo, church, Synagogue and Mosque.