Democracy is based on political equality:
- All citizens have equal role in electing representatives.
- Parallel to the process of bringing individuals into the political arena, we find growing economic inequalities.
- Democracy does not appear to be very successful in reducing economic inequalities.
- The ultra-rich enjoy a highly disproportionate share of wealth and income.
- At the bottom of the society, the people have very little to depend on.
- It is difficult to meet their basic needs of life, such as food, clothing, house, education and health.