Flowchart is a graphical or symbolic representation of an algorithm. It is the diagrammatic representation of the step-by-step solution to a given problem.
Advantages of Flowchart
The benefits of flowcharts are as follows:
- Communication: Flowcharts are better way of communicating the logic of a system to all concerned.
- Effective analysis: With the help of flowchart, problem can be analysed in more effective way.
- Proper documentation: Program flowcharts serve as a good program documentation, which is needed for various purposes.
- Efficient Coding: The flowcharts act as a guide or blueprint during the systems analysis and program development phase.
- ProperDebugging:The flowchart helps in debugging process.
- Efficient Program Maintenance: The maintenance of operating program becomes easy with the help of flowchart. It helps the programmer to put efforts more efficiently on that part.
Disadvantages of Flowchart
Although a flowchart is a very useful tool, there are a few limitations in using flowcharts which are listed below:
- Complex logic: Sometimes, the program logic is quite complicated. In that case, flowchart becomes complex and clumsy.
- Alterations and Modifications: If alterations are required the flowchart may require re-drawing completely.
- Reproduction: As the flowchart symbols cannot be typed, reproduction of flowchart becomes a problem.
- The essentials of what is done can easily be lost in the technical details of how it is done.